Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Self evaluation - draft


Evaluation of What I Have Learned In English 112

 

Since this is a mandatory class I needed, it was important to find one that worked into my culinary schedule.  The only one available was a combined History/English class at Parham Campus.  Another 15 minutes driving, but since I was familiar with the area, what did I have to lose.  At first it was hard to distinguish whether or not it was going to be an extension of our history class or not, but it finally started to form into a solid English learning environment. 

Since this class is the research portion of the learning environment, there were tools that I did not get privy to in my refresher English class, or the English 111 class.  The assignment on Ray Puglia was a great research assignment that was hard to keep within the details of the box.  Once we expanded our research, it opened a boatload full of information that assisted dotting the line to some of the missing pieces.  Rays life was not boring.  I have now a full understanding of the Rhetorical Triangle.  Not the audience, message, author, or the noise with all the distractions, but the Ethos, Pathos, & Logos.  We have read much about the world that was never known to me before.  Some of I guessed, but had never saw in writing.  Emotions are best left in the closet about sequestered knowledge unless the “wise ones” did not want us to go ballistic on them earlier in our lives.  I have learned that it is okay to “agree to disagree” than argue over petty issues.  Stop talking and listen.   I now know how to use a team search blog to annotate your work as you go.  I still need to make my message for the age group, not just the crowd.  There is a difference with depth of understanding that come with age.  We never went into details of body communications, but it can say plenty.  I watch my instructors do it, so we can get a feel on what to expect for the day; Or as Sgt. Friday said “Nothing but the facts”.

The research process became easier, especially for our discussion board in history; it was very useful to read each one to get an understanding from multiple points of view.  You could tell who read and understood the subject from those that could not grasp the content.

For me to use an undrafted non-corrected draft looks sloppy, so I can say I did not turn autocorrect off.  It did not tell me that I did not have to go back and review each paragraph.  I still have found words that should not be there, but they were.  Read, re-read, and read again.  Movement is acceptable.  If it still does not fit it, remove it or save to a separate document so that the thought is not lost.  There is a reason why we structure thoughts at certain times.  What point are we trying to make?  I still have trouble with different methods of annotating sources, but am more aware of the process to do it correctly. 

I am grateful to have known and associated with this class and the professors.  If I had to decide again, I would choose to take this class.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment